Author Topic: Logging and syslog  (Read 12981 times)

Panther

• View Profile
Logging and syslog
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:13:05 am »
I've noticed that log messages do not appear in the history tab/system logs when my rain sensor is active and cancels the water run. Log messages only appear when an option in the Weather Settings has been invoked. Please add more re-boost logging to features and capabilities.

Additionally, it would be good to have the ability to send log messages via syslog to a syslog server.   

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Logging and syslog
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:56:05 am »
If the rain sensor is tripped, the controller does log it.  The system temporarily suspends watering when this happens, so there is not much activity to log.
The controller does not cancel the run as in the weather case because the sensor can dry out at any time and the run will resume.

The log on the UI is not the system log.  It is only an event log.

Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:46 pm »
If the rain sensor is tripped, where does the controller log it to? How do I access the system log?

In the UI it states "System logs."

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 09:12:37 pm »
It should log it to the UI.  This log is the high level historical log that is stored.  The lower level system log is recycled and holds very little info that is interested by you.

Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:54:04 am »
There is no log entry displayed in the IU, when the rain sensor is tripped. I'm running firmware v2.0.3. The only way that I know that it did not water, no log entries appear for that scheduled watering day.

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:56:17 pm »
When the sensor changes state, the controller knows immediately.  However, if the controller comes up after a reboot (or power outage) and the sensor was tripped while it was out, it may not have any thing to reference to and miss it.

Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 05:35:27 pm »
My controller has not rebooted in over a month. It's a fact that log messages do not appear in the UI when the rain sensor is tripped. Please ensure that this is functioning correct in the next firmware update.

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »
Can you try by pressing and hold the plunger on top of your rain sensor to simulate a sensor trip to see if it logs?

Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 07:07:35 am »
It rained last night and through the AM. I had a watering scheduled for today to start at 4am. The rain sensor tripped due to the rain. The watering did not take place and there is no record(s) of any activity in the UI system logs. The rain did not meet my "Conserve" threshold settings, so I can understand why activity associated with this did not showing up in the UI system logs. 

To simulate a sensor trip is difficult because of the location of the sensor. I believe the rain sensor is working perfectly. The controller recognizes when the rain sensor has tripped, but there's no logs associated with this activity.     

Canada_Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:13 am »
To simulate a sensor trip is difficult because of the location of the sensor. 

To the controller the sensor is just a contact closure (or open, depending on the config) when active. Can you simulate it at the controller by just jumpering the sensor contacts at the controller?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:49:44 am by Canada_Guy »

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 06:51:09 pm »
That is true Canada_Guy. If your rain sensor is Normally Open, you can just jump the rain sensor terminals.  If it is Normally Closed, you can just remove 1 of the wires.

Panther, can you update your firmware to see if it helps?

Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 02:49:35 pm »
After upgrading to firmware v2.1.0, the log entries appeared in the UI. The following entries appeared:

7/18/2016, 4:26:22 PM] : Sensor open - Rain sensor - tripped

[7/19/2016, 4:30:00 AM] : Water cancels - AM Schedule, AM Watering not run: System delayed

[7/19/2016, 2:23:09 PM] : Sensor close - Rain sensor

Not sure why these did not appear in previous firmware versions.

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 10:17:30 pm »
I guess 2.1.0 fixed it