Author Topic: Hunter Rain Clik Wireless Rain Sensor  (Read 14178 times)

tideman7

• View Profile
Hunter Rain Clik Wireless Rain Sensor
« on: November 03, 2015, 05:53:15 am »
Can anyone share some wiring info on the above Rain sensor to my Blue Spray Controller?  I hooked up the two yellow power wires to 24v connection and the comm screw next to it for power and the blue and white leads to the two rain sensor screws.  Yes I have a well pump but staying true to the fact that my Blue Spray is software driven I thought this was enough.  The Hunter shows RED for moisture indicated ( it has been raining a lot) but system still comes on.  Since the Hunter was reading moisture I assumed it is communicating with the wireless transmitter right outside of this location.  Thanks for any help.

Canada_Guy

• View Profile
Re: Hunter Rain Clik Wireless Rain Sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 03:16:02 pm »
I looked at the manual on-line and it looks like the 2 yellow wires are 24 volt AC. It looks like the Blue is common, Orange is normally open and White is normally closed.

Do you set up the sensor in the settings area of the Bluespray controller? I saw this info in my manual.

Setting up sensors
If you installed a rain sensor or door sensor, use the information in this section to configure it.
Consult your rain sensor user manual to see what type of sensor you have. Configuring the sensors improperly may affect the operation of your BlueSpray controller.
To set up a sensor
1. Click the Settings tab, then click the Sensors tab.
2. Enter the following to set up the rain sensor:
• Sensor type. Select the type of rain sensor that you have.
NO: Normally Opened rain sensor
NC: Normally Closed rain sensor

Click Save.

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:22:25 am »
This rain sensor can be configured to be either Normally Opened (NO) or Normally Closed (NC) depending which wires you use.  You have to tell the controller which one it is in Settings->Sensors.  If you tell it the other state, it will have a reverse effect.

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:59:11 am »
Still no go this morning.  The Hunter pdf docs mention that if you have a booster pump or well pump relay you have to split the blue and white with the common to all the valves.  I have assumed that not to be true with a software driven system like my Blue Spray.  Is that a false assumption?  Should I be doing what the hunter instructions give for the Blue Spray system as well?  (splitting the blue wire with the common to all valves)

Canada_Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:45:13 am »
Just a suggestion, you could disconnect the rain sensor completely and use a simple jumper wire on the terminals of the Bluespray to simulate the rain sensor. If the Bluespray reacts as you suspect, it's a rain sensor issue. If it doesn't work as expected, you have a Bluespray issue (configuration or other fault).

To trouble shoot the rain sensor: do you have a multimeter that you can use to check the continuity between the Blue, Orange and White wires?

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 08:06:36 pm »
I am pretty sure the Hunter Click is functioning properly.  The red light indicating wet was on while the rains were occurring.  Yesterday the plates dried out enough to make the light go green indicating dry so I sprayed the transmitter with water and it immediately wet back red indicating moisture or wet.  Yes I have a multi-meter.  My background is based in repair.  I just think the lights indicate the sensor seems to be communicating fine.  The pump relay might change the parameters of how the Blue Spray communicates but I thought if the software received the signal as wet then it would simply  shut it down.  Thanks for all the suggestions. 

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:49 pm »
Reading your post above makes me realize that the Hunter's way is to let the rain sensor make the decision when to water.  The BlueSpray's way it not let such a dumb sensor make the decision.  The controller has more brain than the sensor, hence the controller should make the decision. The sensor's job is just report its status.

Sounds like Hunter's manual tells you to connect the rain sensor between the valve wires and the common wire so that when it is tripped (open), it opens the circuit and the valves won't get energized.

With BlueSpray, you just connect those 2 wires to the rain sensor terminals and the controller will read it as on or off and act accordingly based on the configuration.  The pump relay has nothing to do with it.  If the sensor trips, the controller won't water hence won't turn on the pump any way.

I don't know what color the wires are, but you can use a mulitimeter to measure the resistance between those 2 wires.  If the sensor is tripped (wet) and it reads 0, that means it's normally opened.  Otherwise, it's normally closed.  Connect those 2 wires to the rain sensor terminals.

Do not connect any sensor wire to the common wire terminal.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 04:54:00 pm by bluespray_admin »

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 05:56:13 am »
Thanks for all the help guys.  It seems I had it right the whole time.  I just had my rain sensor bypassed in error.  It has been raining here in Georgia for almost two days and Blue Spray is taking a break.  On a side note I am still on 1.2.3.  I clicked the download button for 2.0 and it errors out.  Is that because system is paused by the rain sensor?  Anyway thanks to Bluespray admin and Canada Guy for all the help.

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 11:11:14 am »
It has nothing to do with the rain sensor. If the Download button doesn't work, try download the firmware then upload it to the controller as described here:

https://www.bluespray.net/forums/index.php?topic=158.0