Author Topic: Replacing Rainbird ESP12-LX  (Read 7367 times)

nondropsense

• View Profile
Replacing Rainbird ESP12-LX
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:32:18 am »
I have two Rainbird ESP12-LX controllers: one with 11 zones in the front yard and the other with 9 zones in the back yard.  I want to replace these old controllers with a BlueSpray unit. I have good WiFi connectivity in the garage where the controllers are.

Which BlueSpray model should l I use?

Is this a DIY project or is there a local (Austin, TX) installer that could do this?

Has anyone else been there and done that?

What are the main things to watch out for?

Thanks

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Rainbird ESP12-LX
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:56 am »
Our controller comes in 8, 16, and 24 zones, can be expanded up to 64 zones.

If all of your wires are together in 1 place, all you need is a 24 zone controller.  If they're in 2 different places, you will need to install 2x16 zone controllers.  You can purchase them at Metro irrigation supply in Austin.

You can do it yourself.  An irrigation controller basically has a number of valve wires and 1 common wire.  The wires are not labeled, but you can tell what they are by looking at where they're connected.  It's just a matter of replacing the wires. The main thing is to identify the common wire.

If you're not comfortable, you can contact any local irrigation contractor and they'll install it for you.

nondropsense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:28:20 am »
Everything looks well marked and easily transferred to the new controller.  Perhaps more questions as I go along.  Thanks. :)

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:45:48 am »
Looks like the white wire is the common wire and valve wires are red.  You have no master valve, no rain sensor.  Should be an easy wire transfer.

nondropsense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:44:30 pm »
I do have a rain sensor but it does not work. Maybe my next project. Thanks again.

Canada_Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 02:00:05 pm »
Can you run a multi-conductor cable between the 2 existing controller locations? If so, you could combine all the zones to a single, 24-zone controller.