Author Topic: No Controller(s) Found  (Read 6883 times)

tallecks

• View Profile
No Controller(s) Found
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:18:19 pm »
My bluespray has been working like a champ ever since I installed it a couple of months ago.  I have no trouble using it on my local LAN.  I have no trouble using it if I am at a remote location and I type in my home IP address.    However, if I am at a remote location and access the URL my.bluespray.net, I consistently get a 'No Controller(s) Found' error.  I'm pretty sure this worked when I tried it right after installation.  (I tested it by using my tablet in LTE mode with WiFi disabled.)   

I thought there might be a problem with my tablet having the stale IP address in it's DNS cache, but then I would expect to get a server not found error instead of a controller not found error.  What am I missing?

thanks,
Todd A.     

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: No Controller(s) Found
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:35:24 pm »
my.bluespray.net is for access within your home network only.  your computer must be on the same network as the controller.

When the controller is part of your private network, it is protected from the outside by your router.  The reason you can't access from remote is the router would block all traffic initiated from the outside, which is its job.
Most routers would allow exceptions to allow outside traffic to a particular host in the network.  This method is called port forwarding.  It is commonly used by games, IP cameras, etc.  Each router does it differently, butt he basic concept is the same.

1. Reserve a static IP address for the controller.
2. Set up port forwarding.  Choose a port number for the external port, have it forwarded to the controller's IP address.
3. (Optional) Register your controller.  When you do, you would have created an account at www.bluespray.net.  Log onto your account and you can get to your controller with one click.  We provide this feature so that you don't have to remember your router's public IP address.

BlueSpray controller listens on multiple ports to help make port forwarding easier: 80/8000 (http), and 443/8443 (https).  You can choose any of these ports as internal port.