Author Topic: Blue Spray setup  (Read 18856 times)

tideman7

• View Profile
Blue Spray setup
« on: August 09, 2015, 01:27:13 pm »
I am trying to set up my blue spray for the first time.  I am all wired up and powered up.  The green light came on along with the blue and amber.  Now just the solid green and the blinking amber.  I came back to my desktop and I see the blue spray and connect to it.  It connects but then gives the error "no internet access".  My Net Gear wireless modem is about 8' away from the Blue Spray but Blue Spray is only showing two bars but says signal strength fair.  What am I doing wrong?

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Spray setup
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:43:51 pm »
What you'd ultimately want to do is to get the controller to connect to your home router.
Out of the box, the controller does not know the password to your router, so it operates a hotspot called bluespray so that you can connect to it directly and tell it what your router password is.

Use your laptop or desktop with wifi capability.  Look for the bluespray hotspot and connect to it.  Once connected, type 192.168.1.1 on your browser.  You should be able to connect to the controller.  Click Settings->System.  Select Internet for Operating mode.  The wifi button should be activated.  Click on the wifi button will show you the list of wifi networks that the controller sees.  Look for your wifi network and note how many bars it has.  It should have at least 2 bars.  Anything less means that your wifi signal is weak and ou'll need a wifi extender.

Select your wifi network and click OK.  Now, enter your wifi password in the Key field, then click "Save".  You should see a popup saying that you should re-connect to your wireless network and click OK.

At this point, the bluespray hotspot will go away because the controller has switch mode to join your router.  If you've entered your wifi info correctly and your signal is good, the browser should redirect to your controller.  From now on, you should be able to access it from your home network by typing my.bluespray.net on your browser.

If it says controller not found, it means the controller cannot connect to your router.  There are mainly 2 reasons why that happens:

1. You've typed your password incorrectly - reset the controller by sliding the switch down for 20 seconds then slide it back up.  You should see the bluespray hotspot again and start over.
2. Your wifi signal is weak.  You'll need to get a wifi extender or booster to improve your signal.  Reset the controller as mentioned above and start over after you've added the extender or booster.

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:48:21 am »
Thanks for the great advise.  All setup and working great.  my next two projects are downloading a Google Map satellite photo and using it as my lawn view and then perform port forwarding so I can access from anywhere.  Any and all advise is appreciated  Thanks again.

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 12:07:46 pm »
Ah!!  They have made the google map way easy now.  Just choose it, center it then move your zones to correct spots.  Love it.  Now for the Port Forwarding.  Looks pretty challenging.

Canada_Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »
What brand/model is your router? Mine was actually pretty easy to do, so may not be too hard.

Also, read this thread:
https://www.bluespray.net/forums/index.php?topic=8
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:45:24 pm by Canada_Guy »

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:45:17 pm »
Hey Canada Guy.  Sorry I have not checked back in.  That looks to be a great post.  I will try it very soon since after a couple of weeks of perfect operation the connection just dropped.  I am assuming port forward should make more stable.  Is that correct?  Anyway thanks.

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »
Port forwarding has nothing to do with helping your connection.  In fact, if there is no connection, it can't port forward.

What happens when you type in my.bluespray.net on your browser?

tideman7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 09:23:39 am »
So I am guessing port forwarding is only so I can access from other locations via the internet. 
Now here is what is going on. This is the 2nd Blue Spray unit I have received.  The 1st unit looked like it might have been tampered with.  It would not connect at all AND the fuse was blown.  Blue Spray sent the 2nd unit.  It connected and I set all my zones and programs and everything worked great for about two weeks then out of the blue last week I get this.  "No BlueSpray controller(s) found.  Please reset and try again."  I reset everything yesterday.  By the way the switch will not reset the unit using the switch down for 20 seconds and up protocol.  I have to unplug the unit and plug it back up and wait 10-15 minutes for it to start broadcasting the hot spot again.  It looked like everything was working yesterday and I get up this morning to find "No BlueSpray controller(s) found. Please reset and try again."  Not sure what is going on. 

bluespray_admin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 11:31:04 am »
Sounds like your ISP has changed the public IP address of your router too often.  All you have to do is reboot the controller and it will refresh the info at our server.

When it comes up, access the controller.  Click Settings->Operations and set the heartbeat to 1 so that it will refresh the info more often.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 11:34:15 am by bluespray_admin »

PashOvall

• View Profile
    • Ремонт промышленной электроники
Blue Spray setup
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 12:34:57 pm »
Series blue has tons of small and big things that are different enough to justify its limited production. Im gonna try my best to keep the car for more than 10 years to see what itll be worth down the road...